Qualifying for the Cuida'm programme
- The patient must be under 18 years old.
- The patient must suffer from a serious illness that:
- Constitutes a threat to his life, or has a major impact on his quality of life.
- Cannot be treated in his home country.
- Can be cured through a highly effective treatment such that, if requiring subsequent follow-up, can be administered in the child's country.
- Requires treatment that does not entail a stay of more than three months.
The acceptance criteria also stipulate that the treatment necessary must be one regularly provided at the Hospital Sant Joan de Déu Barcelona. Secondly, the case must receive a favourable opinion by a doctor from this center, who takes responsibility for treating the minor. Finally, the treatment is to be approved by a medical evaluation committee. Once this process is complete all the necessary documentation is processed to take the child and one member of his or her family and they can perform the intervention.
Cuida'm 2017's 12 Children
This year Probitas has allocated €174,000 to finance the treatment of the 12 children who have come to Catalonia to undergo surgery and, thus, be able to return to their countries healthy.
Since its inception in 2004 the Cuida'm programme has changed the lives of 284 children from Latin America, Africa, Asia and Eastern Europe.
Besides, since 2010 Probitas Foundation gives its support to this program and since then 88 children have received the treatment they needed. Probitas has destined in 8 years 1.236.000€ to help these minors.