Due to the economic crisis there has been a substantial increase in demand for meal support, caused by the emergence of new groups and family profiles in need of financial support for feeding their children. The government regulation and the administrative management of grants are not enough to cover the needs of these families. The situation is worse for the children over 12 years in secondary school, because as a result of the compacted schedule at school in public secondary schools the canteens have been closed and these students have lost the right to receive a meal.
Nursery and Primary
The aim of the meal support in primary school is to reduce the risk of child malnutrition through a comprehensive meal support to vulnerable children. The program search specifically to:
- Help ensure a healthy meal at day to children at risk through their access to school meals.
- Teach healthy habits to children and their families.
- Reduce the rate of truancy and early school leaving .
Profile of beneficiaries
The program targets children from 3 to 12 years old enrolled in nurseries and elementary schools (public schools mainly in high complexity) and involved in one of the following situations:
- Children and families that have de helped for meal but cannot afford the co-payment and there are force to compact the aid.
- Children and families who have requested assistance but have not received it despite current economic and / or social difficulties.
- Children and families who have not request help for the dining canteen but the school itself has detected the need.
A distinctive feature of the program is that the principal is who select with social services the potential beneficiaries of the aid.
The 2020 year 5.477 minors of 195 schools have received an aid from the Probitas Foundation.
During the 2020 year, this school meal support for children and primary schools is carried out in 4 different autonomous communities (Catalonia, Madrid, Murcia and Valencia), in 58 municipalities.
The main objective of RAI-Breakfast is the same as the RAI-Meal support program and is to reduce the risk of child malnutrition through meal support of the most vulnerable children. Specifically:
- Ensures a nutritious lunch at school.
- Teaches healthy habits to children and their families.
- Improve academic performance of the beneficiary students and reduces the consequences of an inadequate nutrition.
Profile of the beneficiaries
This program is designed for nursery and primary students. Nowadays it's implemented in 10 schools of the Usera district in Madrid and Murcia.
Madrid: Usera district.
RAI-Secondary RAI -ESO Program aims to provide a healthy meal and a protective environment with socio-educational leisure activities for teenagers from 11 to 17 years old at risk of social exclusion. In this case, the program includes the access to one healthy meal, recreational activities and accompaniment to school between 14h and 17h.
Apart from ensuring a nutritious meal a day and provide a protective environment, the program objective is to promote healthy habits. With the aim to emphasize the needs of opening the institutes kitchens and the networking needs.
Profile of the beneficiaries
Currently there are canteens underway in 12 municipalities, with 919 beneficiaries from 34 institutes.
Catalonia: Badia del Vallès, Canovelles, Castellar del Vallès, Cornellà de Llobregat, Hospitalet de Llobregat, Montornès del Vallès, Ripollet, Sabadell, Salt, Santa Coloma de Gramanet, Terrassa and Vacarisses.